After a long absence of chess related events in the city, Saturday, December 2 will mark an important return. This is the date of the “Kelowna Winter Active” chess tournament, to be held at the central library on Ellis street. Doors will open 10am, and the first round will begin at 10:30am. Please see the poster below for more details.
Additionally, if you are unfamiliar with playing in rated tournaments you may wish to continue reading. The rules we will be following come from the Canadian Chess Federation (CFC) and International Chess Federation (FIDE). For games under one hour per side these include:
- touch move – if a chess piece is touched it must be moved
- recording of moves is not required like in longer games of chess, but is still recommended
- the same hand which moves the chess piece must also be the one which hits the clock after the move is completed
There are plenty of other rules to familiarize yourself with so feel free to peruse the FIDE website, or ask any questions when you are registering via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre-registered contestants below…
|1. Graham Swett
| 2. Dale Hoshizaki
|3. David Moore
|4. Wally Steinke
|5. Grant Rice
|6. Greg Bishop
|7. Dylan Fraser
| 8. Ray Bruckner
| 9. Chayne Planiden
| 10. Heinz Bauschke
| 11. Scott Wilson
| 12. Allen Royston
The motto of FIDE, or the World Chess Federation, is “We are one people.” Founded in 1924, it is currently presided over by Kirsan Nikolayevich Ilyumzhinov. Some interesting facts about Ilyumzhinov:
- He is the former president of the Russian Federation Republic of Kalmykia
- He won on a platform of giving $100 to each voter, and a cell phone to each shepherd
- During tenure he created a game reserve for the Saiga antelope
- Allies include Russian president Putin, and former Libyan president Qadaffi
- Implicated in the murder of journalists
- In 1997 he was briefly abducted by aliens
- He defeated Anatoly Karpov, and Gary Kasparov in controversial votes for the FIDE presidency
Here is another great event coming up next weekend, organized by one of our allies, working hard every day for the love of the game…
You are invited to play in our
6Th Annual UBCSUO Active Chess Championship January 24, 2014
Date: Saturday January 24, 2015
Location: UBC Okanagan, 3333 University Way, Kelowna, BC Room # Arts 102
Round Times: Saturday Rd1: 9:00 Rd2: 10:30 Lunch Rd3: 12:30 Rd4: 2:00 Rd5: 3:30
Type: Regular Swiss.
Time Controls: /25 + 5 sec. increments or G/30
Entry Fee: $20 (on site)
Prizes: Merchandise prizes from UBCO Bookstore.
Registration: Space limited to 30 registrations (first-come basis).email registration will hold your place.
Registration: On site at starting at 8:30 am Arts 102 same as last year.
Some chess equipment is provided. Bring sets and clocks. No membership required.
Email: email@example.com TD: Greg Bishop 250-807-8045
The First United chess tournament was a success in raising $260 for Kelowna’s homeless population. Thank you to all 26 who participated!
Lots of trophies and draw prizes!
The kids section was fun too!
There will be a special event happening this December 20th, when the Bean Scene Chess Club holds the First United Chess Tournament! Activities will be starting at 12:30pm at the First United Church on the corner of Bernard and Richter downtown. Cost is $10 at the door, and proceeds will be going to charity. Time controls will be 15min. If you can show up for this event bring a board and clock if you have one!